Board index Sneaky Ninja Sneaky Ninja Beta Feedback Alpha feedback

Alpha feedback

The place to let us know what you love and what you hate about the beta!

Post Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:11 am
StarfallSully User avatar
Ninja Grandmaster

anvard78 wrote:
The stalagtites as projectiles/traps also add some nice variety, if you have time maybe you could add an equivalent in the forest like an insect nest/loose branch/poisonous flower that you could knock down.

I like that idea! Insect nest sounds particularly good to me, since that could have the added element of insects attacking nearby enemies as a distraction.

As a suggestion you could turn it into a bit a game mechanic. I am thinking that maybe if an enemy sees the character when taunting if they are alone and other people are not alerted. Then maybe as Samurai take it as a personal challenge to their honor and not call others but peruse them himself. Allowing the player to separate them or lead them into traps. Though I am aware that for the most part you are no longer working on the games mechanics.

It does sound funny and if taunts make it in then I'd definitely consider it -- we would need to talk about how we want to handle encouraging the players to be seen, though, since that goes against everything else the game tells you to do. The ranking system, magic system, etc. all punish you for being seen. One thing we talked about was that if an enemy is incapacitated by a trap or killed within a certain time of seeing you (only a few seconds probably) you wouldn't be punished for it, since you were just baiting them into something and that sort of strategy should be rewarded. That would certainly make taunting a viable distraction!

As the taunts themselves I was thinking of them as quite personalized like Miyu looking over a fan or paper umbrella with a dialogue box of something like 'However will I defend myself', for Shoju him pulling out a scroll with a dialogue of 'I read they were tough enemies', for Kaida throwing something in the air and shooting it saying 'I can't shoot such easy targets' and for Taro him shrugging with a dialogue of 'how can I practice my skills with them?'. Or something along those line

All great ideas, those made me smile. :D If we do go ahead with taunts, I might just use these directly.

Other ideas I had that you could use for ideal animations include them letting of a small firework rocket that explodes just above them, taking out a mahjong piece and look like they are thinking. You could also have little bits of dialogue for them like ' I think I practiced standing enough', 'I don't think the exit comes to us', 'A journey begins with a single step'.
Even if you had universal idle character animations liking taking out and reading a scroll/book dialoge could deferential them like 'I prefer reading' for Shoji, Miyu 'A lady must be well educated', Taro 'I can always study more', Kaida 'Reading focus the mind'

Also great! Maybe not the fireworks one, since that's not the sneakiest thing to do :lol: but the others for sure.

Thanks a lot for your ideas anvard! We'll definitely have to find time to put in little touches like these. Some of the best things in games can also be some of the smallest details.

Post Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:02 am
anvard78 Sharpshooter

I like the fact that some of the ideas made you smile, honestly they were of the top of my head. I figured if you are differentiating them in style, look and food you may as well characterize the other game aspects.

It does sound funny and if taunts make it in then I'd definitely consider it -- we would need to talk about how we want to handle encouraging the players to be seen, though, since that goes against everything else the game tells you to do. The ranking system, magic system, etc. all punish you for being seen. One thing we talked about was that if an enemy is incapacitated by a trap or killed within a certain time of seeing you (only a few seconds probably) you wouldn't be punished for it, since you were just baiting them into something and that sort of strategy should be rewarded. That would certainly make taunting a viable distraction!

On reflection that is an issue, though I suspect my next suggestion will involve even more work . A real ninja taunt should be a mocking voice from the shadows :shock: . Hence I though it could be auditory one to draw in guards with an outline to indicate its range. This is developing it further but to stop its abuse you could either have a limited number per level or link it to the power meter where it takes a set amount like magic to perform since in a way you would be giving away your rough whereabouts. You could even have a charge up element where the more power you sacrifice the larger the effect area is. The animations themselves would be theatrical element of the character. This of course would be dependent on effort and time constraints whether you could implement it. It would however be closer to the stealth focus of the game.

I hope your time at the Playcrafting NYC Fall Expo was successful and you got some good feed back. :)

Post Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:52 pm
Ninja Grandmaster

anvard78 wrote:
I like the fact that some of the ideas made you smile, honestly they were of the top of my head. I figured if you are differentiating them in style, look and food you may as well characterize the other game aspects.

You're totally right, small details like that are very important in making characters lovable and memorable. We were going to put some more focus on things like that towards the end, but your ideas are definitely towards the top of the list now.

On reflection that is an issue, though I suspect my next suggestion will involve even more work . A real ninja taunt should be a mocking voice from the shadows :shock: . Hence I though it could be auditory one to draw in guards with an outline to indicate its range. This is developing it further but to stop its abuse you could either have a limited number per level or link it to the power meter where it takes a set amount like magic to perform since in a way you would be giving away your rough whereabouts. You could even have a charge up element where the more power you sacrifice the larger the effect area is. The animations themselves would be theatrical element of the character. This of course would be dependent on effort and time constraints whether you could implement it. It would however be closer to the stealth focus of the game.

We'll have to talk over exactly how it could work. I think a limited number per level might be the best route so it doesn't overshadow the main mechanics, since smart use of taunting would get you through any level comfortably without having to use weapons or normal magic. One thing we have to think about if an ability uses magic, is how much magic you stand to GAIN from using that ability, since you gain magic by sneaking past enemies. If it takes 50 magic to taunt, but you get 50 magic for sneaking past an enemy, then as long as you consistently get by one enemy per taunt, you can use it on literally every single enemy. That can make something become too centralizing -- players might only use that instead of anything else. That's why my initial thought is a limited number per level is the best route, but we'll talk it over!

I hope your time at the Playcrafting NYC Fall Expo was successful and you got some good feed back. :)

Thanks! It went pretty well. Thanks to events like this we know we're slowly but surely heading in the right direction towards accommodating all kinds of players. :)

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:31 am
anvard78 Sharpshooter

That's ok balancing the games main mechanics is the main priority. I am merely suggesting ideas you have to think about how to implement them or how they would effect the game. Just one more thought then rather then having it be a main mechanic or gimmick. Have it be that if you taunt behind an enemy before you stealth kill them you get more magic meter. Maybe with an element of it you are seen you lose some.
I realize that you main focus now is in the development of levels so you may as well concentrate on that for the moment. Glad to here you got some good feed back.

Post Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:59 am
Ninja Grandmaster

If taunts are audio-based, wouldn't taunting directly behind them be a bad idea? :P Sounds like they would just turn around and kill you before you could finish the animation. I assume you mean if we didn't go with the audio idea, but I think we would if we end up using taunts.

Previous

Return to Sneaky Ninja Beta Feedback